The Cuban Hat pitch @ Doc Circuit Montréal 2018

Following a call for projects and a tough jury deliberation, we narrowed down all submissions to six carefully selected projects. Voting and pitching will follow!

live
What

The Cuban Hat Pitch is back for a eighth consecutive year at Doc Circuit Montréal! Following a call for projects across Canada and a tough jury selection, we narrowed down all submissions to six carefully selected projects. After an online vote from November 1st to the 12th, these lucky filmmakers will pitch in front of the notoriously lively Cuban Hat Pitch audience and win cash prizes and services worth over $50,000. The Cuban Hat Pitch is one of DCM’s BIG events and showcases the community’s collective support for promising documentary projects. The entire pitch event will be streamed online on Makila’s platform and on our facebook page. Stay tuned!

Voluntary cash contributions collected at the door will be awarded to the winners.

https://www.facebook.com/events/178339153073448

Where

335 Boul de Maisonneuve Est
Salle Norman-McLaren
Montreal, QC, H2X 1K1
Canada

When
Vote: 1-12 november, Pitch: november 12 7:30pm

Voting is now open, so please vote for your favorite pitches! You can vote for more than one, so check them all out!

We would like to thank our partners for their extraordinary support.
Take a look at the prices already collected in the hat:

10000$

(2x5000$) in production services or in postproduction

10000$

Rental services

6000$

A 7-day residency at the Bic including a consultation service

5000$

Postproduction services

2000$

Pitch training workshops for the 6 finalists

1400$

5 forum accreditations for the forum 2018

1380$

A free subscription to its next training program and multiplatform production mentoring.

1200$

1 year membership to each of the members of the winning team

1070$

Equipment rental services and in production and postproduction services + 1 year subscription to Main Film

1000$

<p>1 week and a weekend rental of the Digital Lab, and one day use of its digitization services</p>

1000$

Rental services

1000$

Legal consultancy

1000$

DCP coding services

895$

1 all-access pass for the 2019 festival

500$

50% off on subtitling services

500$

Rabais applicable sur un programme de formation

450$

1 year general membership for professionals, and 2 tickets to the Numix Gala

400$

1 year membership for each winner

300$

Cash prize + assistance through the “Adopt A Doc” program for the project with the strongest social justice focus

200$

1 associate membership as well as advice and support

120$

1 accreditation 2019 to each of the members of the winning team

Eligibility
  • Open to all Canadian filmmakers (citizens and permanent residents)*
  • Open to all types of documentary projects, including hybrid films
  • Open to all types of projects, every stage of production, every genre, format and media
Selection process

Ahead of the event that will take place on November 12th and following a call for projects, six projects are selected by a committee of experts, followed an online public vote held from the 1st to the 11th of November, 2018. Each team is then invited to pitch their projects in front of a live audience and a prestigious jury to win numerous cash and service prizes, generously offered by our partners.

Online voting can be submitted for one or more projects to help select the winning pitch at the Cuban Hat event during Doc Circuit Montréal. The online votes will count for 25% of the final tally, while the remaining 75% will be decided the night of the pitch by the live audience as well as a panel of experts and sponsors.

  • Final Submission Date: September 3rd 2018 at midnight (Montreal time)
  • Pitch training with Makila: September 29th, October 13th and November 9th
  • Audience vote on makila.tv: November 1st to 12th
  • Cuban Hat Pitch Event: November 12th

The goal of this initiative is to provide collective support to promising documentary projects, while bringing together documentary artists, industry professionals and potential audiences. Finalists can win prizes in money or services to help them launch, complete or promote their project.